Before this weekend, our laundry room was a deadly laundry room.
It’s true, I think our laundry room was trying to kill us.
I say “WAS” because Mr. Smith and I outsmarted it by hiring workmen to expose its shenanigans!
So far, progress is looking good after Week Three of our laundry room makeover.
In case you forgot just how horrifying things looked in Week One, here’s a reminder:
When the workmen arrived Saturday, their first order of business was to remove the claustrophobia-inducing cabinets. Sure I lost valuable cabinet storage space, but who cares? Look at how much more open and sunny my laundry room looks now!
It was during the second task of replacing the insulation that the first shenanigan was discovered:
This is just some of the multitude of rodent droppings that were embedded in the old insulation. The old, exposed insulation, might I add.
This means that for the past four years, I’ve been breathing in rodent poo dust every time I did laundry. [Enter snarky comment about the evils of laundry here.]
New insulation never felt so luxurious.
Defecation wasn’t the only mischief our laundry room rodents were getting into. The second murder weapon discovered was this:
This gnawed wire was throwing out current to neighboring wires and could have very easily started yet ANOTHER house fire. While a house fire is no good, a house fire only a couple feet away from a gas line is no-good-very-bad. Choosing to do this project sooner than later really was a lifesaver.
Warning: The empty remains of pecan shells scattered nearby means that Old Man Smith is on the squirrel hunt again.
And so Week 3 of our laundry room makeover ended with a safer, more open space.
In the meantime, the neighboring Rumpus room is filled with junk and I can’t locate anything I need. Tis the way of home renovation, I suppose.
BTW, this drop leaf table will be finding new life as my laundry folding surface. More on its makeover in a later post…