Last summer, I visited a cousin who prepared me a drink of Clamato® Picante, lime juice and a sprinkle of chili-salt called Tajín. It hit the spot, and the minute I got home, I picked up some spicy tomato juice, lime and chili salt and drank a glass for practically every meal. Sometimes the beverage WAS the meal! I recently decided to turn this mixture into a cocktail with the addition of some cucumber vodka (which is super easy to infuse at home!). If you enjoy Bloody Mary’s or aren’t into sweet cocktails, give this Spicy Clamato Vodka Cocktail a try!
Spicy Clamato & Cucumber Vodka Cocktail
To start off, if you’ve got a little time, why not save some money and infuse your own vodka? Then you can sound extra fancy by saying you infused the cucumber vodka yourself. Then the boss will give you a raise. Then you will live happily ever after.
You will need:
- 1 medium, organic cucumber (because who wants chemical-infused vodka?)
- 10 ounces Vodka
- 12 ounce mason jar with lid
Slice up cucumber and toss in the jar. Top with vodka and seal. Place jar in refrigerator for 1 week (or longer), shaking the jar a couple times each day.
Warning: If you’re a lightweight, don’t be tempted to nibble a cucumber from the jar. It will not taste like a pickle. Instead, it will knock you on your butt and send you straight to Nighty-Sleepy-Snoozy Town.
Now that your fancy homemade cucumber vodka is ready, let’s make that drinky!
Squeeze half of a lime in a shallow dish. Pour 1 tablespoon of magically tasty Tajín Clásico Seasoning (found in the refrigerated area of the produce section) in another shallow dish. Dip the rim of a glass in the lime juice and then into the chili salt.
Squeeze the juice of 1 whole lime into the glass.
Next, pour in 8 ounces of chilled Clamato® Picante. You can use Original if Picante is not available.
If you’d like your cocktail to have an extra kick, then go wild and add a few thin slices of organic jalapeño.
And for EVEN MORE of a kick, toss a few slices into your cucumber vodka and THEN infuse. Yum!
Time for that vodka! Stir 2 ounces into your glass.
Then, to prove to the slices of vodka-infused cucumber that you can handle yer likker, toss one into the glass. Add a slice of lime for garnish (and post-drinky nibbling) and serve.
My favorite part of this Spicy Clamato Vodka Cocktail? The Tajín rim!
It never fails. I always wind up licking all the chili salt off the rim before I even finish the drink. Cheers!
Do you have a favorite Vodka infusion?
- HOMEMADE CUCUMBER-INFUSED VODKA
- 1 medium organic or garden-fresh cucumber
- 10 ounces vodka
- 8 ounces Clamato® Picante
- Juice of 1 lime plus more for rim
- 2 ounces homemade cucumber-infused vodka
- Jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- Tajín® Clásico Seasoning
- To infuse your own vodka, rinse, dry and slice cucumber and place in a 12 ounce mason jar. Add vodka and seal jar. Place in refrigerator for 1 week, giving the jar a shake a couple times each day.
- To make cocktail, start by making the chili salt rim. Squeeze half a lime into a shallow bowl. Pour 1 Tablespoon of Tajín seasoning into another shallow bowl. Dip the rim of a glass into the lime juice and then into the Tajín. Slice up the other half of lime for garnish.
- Squeeze the juice of one whole lime into a glass. Pour in the Clamato followed by the 2 ounces of cucumber-infused vodka and stir a couple times. Toss in a few thin slices of jalapeno and a slice of cucumber from the vodka infusion, if desired. Garnish with lime slices and serve cold.
Want more summer drink inspiration?