It’s almost summer and it’s hot. Who wants to spend a lot of time in the kitchen?
Since we do not have central air-conditioning, my summer cooking has to be light and fast (for the sake of my sanity!).
Consequently, my go-to summer dishes are mostly salads. This Chicken Fajita Salad is a favorite because it’s fresh, fast and, best of all, FILLING!
Chicken Fajita Salad
Let’s make this short and sweet, shall we?
Serve fajita mixture over lettuce and top with whatever you like!
Other good choices also include: Black Beans, Fresh Corn, Olives, Jalapeños, Tortilla Strips
Here’s to summer and simple summer cooking!
Have any great salad ideas to share? I might need them! 🙂
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces uncooked chicken breast, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few dashes of Liquid Smoke
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1lime
- In a large wok or skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon oil over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and minced garlic and season with the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper flakes and Liquid Smoke. Cook on one side for a minute. Stir chicken around and cook another couple minutes until full cooked. Transfer chicken to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat another Tablespoon of oil until hot. Add peppers and onions and cook one minute without stirring. After a minute, stir the veggies and allow to cook again without stirring. (This will allow the veggies time to caramelize slightly.) Cook to desired tenderness (3-5 minutes). Add veggies to the chicken.
- Toss chicken, peppers and onions with the juice of one lime. Serve over greens or in warm flour tortillas.