On the first day, God created chicken soup.
And it was good.
Then, on the second day, God created chicken tortilla soup.
And it was better.
If you love eating tortilla soup as much as I do, you probably already have a favorite recipe of your own.
But just in case you are in the market for one, here’s mine. 🙂
Though I add different ingredients like sweet corn or black beans from time to time, the basic line-up stays the same. However, I always top off a bowl with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat, and add 1 small chopped onion. Saute, stirring occasionally until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
Then stir in a 4-ounce can of chopped green chiles and a couple cloves of minced garlic. Saute 1 minute.
Meanwhile, dice up 4 corn tortillas.
Add one more tablespoon of oil to the pot and toss in the tortilla.
Sprinkle in 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon oregano and mix well.
Saute tortilla until soft and a deep brown color, stirring occasionally for about 5-7 minutes.
Add one 12-ounce can of crushed tomatoes.
Cook’s Note: If you’d like, you can add a can of Rotel instead. Just omit the 4-ounce can of green chiles.
Scrape up any hardened bits on the bottom of the pot so they don’t scorch.
Add 3 cups of low-sodium chicken broth, stir and bring to a boil.
Once the soup comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Then stir in 1-1/2 cups (or 1 large breast) of pre-cooked, cubed rotisserie chicken.
Cook’s Note: If you are using raw chicken, saute in the beginning with the onions.
At this point, you could also stir in 1/2 cup of drained sweet corn or beans.
Simmer soup another 5 minutes to heat the chicken through and serve. Top with cheese, sour cream, fresh avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips…whatever.
Just don’t forget that squirt of fresh lime. 🙂
Happy Wednesday, everyone!
What do you put in and on YOUR tortilla soup?
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz. can green chilies
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 4 corn tortillas, chopped
- 12 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3-4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked, cubed chicken
- Fresh lime juice
- In a 3-quart pot, saute the onion in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until glossy (5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and chilies and saute 1 minute.
- Add spices and tortillas along with another tablespoon of olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally until the tortillas have softened (5 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, scraping any bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and any other add-ins you’d like and cook another 5 minutes until heated through.
- Serve hot with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Garnish with scallions, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc.
For even more delicious soup recipes, click below!
by A Bright and Beautiful Life
by White Gunpowder